A BRIEF HISTORY
Exterior
Interior

 

WYTHALL AND
ST MARY'S

 
   

The Exterior of the Church and Churchyard

The Church of St. Mary’s Wythall was designed by Frederick Preedy of London, whose flair for the unique enhanced his reputation as an architect. This, no doubt is one reason why St. Mary’s is of such interest to many people.

The exterior of the church is in red and blue brick, set into the roof there is a carved stone cross on both the East and West ends of the church. The tower which was not added until 1908 surmounts the sanctuary and was given by the Misses Mynor in memory of their parents. Similar church towers can be seen when travelling around northern and eastern France. The tower is in harmony with the original building and is furnished with a gable roof and timber spire. The tower is 25 feet square and measures 115 feet to the top of the spire. Immediately above the nave roof is the ringing chamber. A peal of eight tubular bells together with an old treble bell is located in an open belfry above the ringing chamber. The tower is reached by a small door on the Eastern side of the building. The door in the North wall leads to the vestries.

The churchyard which was opened in 1860 completely surrounds the church. The churchyard is entered through iron gates given in the memory of Gertrude Griffiths who died in 1974. A feature of the churchyard is the many Fir and Yew trees. Many of the older gravestones have been removed and replaced with flower beds and lawns. On the South side of the churchyard is the School Hall which was originally built as a school and opened in 1841. St. Mary’s School only accommodated 45 children until it was enlarged in 1892. Apart from minor alterations it remained unchanged until it was closed in 1963. School Hall as we know it today houses meetings of the various organisations connected with the church and is also available for hire.